Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: damages  (Read 34317 times)

gettyvictim120

• View Profile
Re: damages
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
I am curious about the lawsuit against archive.org. I blocked the archive.org robot and removed my original site info. Still, is Getty suing for the right to access old site info beyond what is publicly available? That is very bullish! Probably something the archive.org people did not anticipate.

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
as I understand it robots.txt doesnt ever remove already archived material ... it just blocks public access.  For this reason, I find their exclusion policy misleading (the way it read to me, I originally thought robots.txt would cause all archived material for the site to be deleted ... which is apparently not so).

Can archive.org be compelled to remove archived material by the web site owner?  What would be the procedure ... letter from a lawyer?

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
That would be one way, though if they don't comply then what? It really comes doe to how much time and effort you want to invest in getting your old sites off of their site.  Getty really can't use those images as proof of continuing copyright infringement  it just provide proof to them of when you did allegedly infringe. That could be important as to  prove actual damages they would want to show how long the images were used.

gettyvictim120

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
If you go to archive.org, you can request to have your site completely removed. They honored my request.

Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
How did you get archive.org to remove your sites?  Did you email them or did you have to submit your site on a specific page?

rublev

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »

Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »
It looks like we have to put in a robots.txt file in the root directory of our website and then submit our site to be crawled..  From what I read it can take 8+ weeks for the site to be crawled.  Does anyone know of a faster way to get our site removed?

Johns

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
Actually it only takes about 2-3 business days for your site to be removed once you have the robots.txt file setup.

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
except I dont think the information is really removed.  Delete your robots.txt file and all your history will probably show up again. So, presumably, whenever your server is down (or slow or busy with large numbers of requests) making your robots.txt inaccessible, all your history will show up.  If you sell your domain name and the new owner doesnt have robots.txt ...

Have a look at this lawsuit which describes how someone was allegedly able to get to "blocked" material:

http://lawmeme.research.yale.edu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1543

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
good info thanks

goober

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
I also requested by email that archive.org remove my website and they did so. I verified this by entering the url after they said all records had been removed and it was. I then placed a robots.txt file to block any further possible archiving by them as well as other similar sites. They do comply. Not all archive sites are doing this though, so your web history could be on other sites as well.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 09:17:45 PM »
Goober:

One such site is  http://domain-history.domaintools.com/ . They  have a history of websites, but I can’t find any way to remove  sites without paying$10 a day for each day the history isn’t active. Any comments or advice on this issue would be appreciated

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »
Oscar,

I didnt buy a membership to verify this, but it looks to me like the only history they have at domaintools is the whois records, which just gives info about who owns the site.  It doesnt look to me like they have any historical webpages archived.  Have you seen something different?

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
You are right lettered.  In my haste I thought it also provided a list of page views

goober

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 06:43:06 AM »
Iterasi does save the actual webpages I think...they will not remove and I don't think they follow robots.txt at all.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.