Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Received a Getty Demand Letter, part 2  (Read 14215 times)

steve2012

• View Profile
Received a Getty Demand Letter, part 2
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »
Hello again ELI Community,

This is Steve, with a current update on my situation with Getty Images. Just to recap from my previous thread, I received the Getty extortion letter in November, replied back indicating I got the image from a template, I am in the middle of  bankruptcy 13 and I cannot afford to pay their demands of $840.00.  Well, I finally get a reply back from Getty Images,  indicating they want documented legal proof that my company was going through a bankruptcy “dissolution”. It is not a dissolution, or my company LLC being terminated. It’s a standard “re-build” bankruptcy 13 case, with myself being the sole owner. The bankruptcy was not meant to dissolve the company.

I printed hardcopies of my bankruptcy documents (just the documents sating the case, not personal or payment information), and plan on mailing the package to them via certified mail. After this, I feel it’s a done deal. If they want to pursue it further, they should realize payment is not possible, due to the courts having me on a defined and set budget. I do not have an extra $840 dollars to put in their pocket!

Any thoughts on my game plan? I hope I am not working myself into a corner by supplying them to much information on my status. Also, I made my payment contribution to the ELI website lifeline. I would not know what to do without the assistance of this website and valuable contributors!

Thanks for your help!

Steve2012

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Received a Getty Demand Letter, part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
I've  not seen the bankruptcy paper work that you are offering them, but I would be careful that it does not contain information that will make it easier on them to continue to pursue you.

From everything I have seen, they are only in it for the money.  They have no compassion.  It is their business model to chase people.  If your paperwork was not a re-organization but a closing of shop, I wouldn't be so worried.  Look it over carefully.  Give them no information they do not have.  Part of their gameplan is phishing to help them pursue you later.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
Personally I wouldn't send them jack, save the postage!! ( you're on a budget) I would reply that you do not need to nor are required to send them anything, but will gladly supply the documents in court... Thats the game they play, they won't supply proof of anything until it gets to court...it never goes to court.. they will either call you out, in whaich case you'll have to spend some time in court , or they won't, which is the likely scenario...

Better yet if you feel you need to respond, tell them the court records are public knowledge and they are free to go get them, you won't be supplying anything and the matter is considered closed...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:28:19 PM »
It's stupid to provide them any of your information. Let it go. They won't do anything over 1 image.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

steve2012

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks Stinger, Robert and Mathew for your advice. Hell, your right, if they want further clarification of my situation, go view the supplied case number, its public record. Their implication that dissolution is required to cancel their demands really pissed me off. It made me want to supply something in my defense to ram down their throats. But your right, it they will not supply their proof, I will not either.  Go dig for it! I would also think because of my situation, trying to pursue it could be a legal nightmare for Getty. As stated, if it goes to court (which WE all doubt it would go to court), I will supply the documents at that time. As far as I’m concern, I will state my case, and call it a done deal. I can deal with their bullshit for 3 years!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Well if you're that pissed, you might want to respond telling them the matters is closed, and if they continue to hound you, you will file complaints with the AG, etc...look at Greg Troys post which we refer to as "going Greg Troy on them" a complaint with the AG probably won't stop them, but they'll have to spend some time replying, and time is money in my eyes..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

steve2012

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
You read my mind Robert. I do intend to reply to them stating my Bankruptcy is public record, and will not supply any documents. If this is not sufficient, I can supply my documents in court. I strongly believe with my current Bankruptcy status and Court defined budget, will stand up in court for my defense for a reduction or dismissal. If anything, the court will drop it down to a $200 "slap on the wrist" payment, again because of my situation. Again, if it went to court.

I did review Greg Troy’s response, good stuff!! He’s an animal!  :)   Excellent advice, I will add filling a complaint with the AG if they continue to hound me.

Also, I enjoy your humor you inject on some of the postings. It help relieves the mental distress!

Thanks again Robert!

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
I concur with what the others that said and you don't need to provide Getty with anything. You have told your situation and it's up to them to prove there case. I would consider in addition to the AG that you file complaints with the BBB, the FTC as well as your Congressman and Senator. also if you live outside of Washington State file a complaint with your own States AG.

I am glad to see we're not going to take this lying down and going to fight back. Please keep us posted as to your progress

You read my mind Robert. I do intend to reply to them stating my Bankruptcy is public record, and will not supply any documents. If this is not sufficient, I can supply my documents in court. I strongly believe with my current Bankruptcy status and Court defined budget, will stand up in court for my defense for a reduction or dismissal. If anything, the court will drop it down to a $200 "slap on the wrist" payment, again because of my situation. Again, if it went to court.

I did review Greg Troy’s response, good stuff!! He’s an animal!  :)   Excellent advice, I will add filling a complaint with the AG if they continue to hound me.

Also, I enjoy your humor you inject on some of the postings. It help relieves the mental distress!

Thanks again Robert!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

steve2012

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »
Thanks Greg for the excellent advice! I will file complaints with the BBB, FTC, my Congressman and my Senator. I don’t appreciate the strong arm tactics Getty is doing, especially when it was an honest mistake. I have read several posting on this forum on individuals being unemployed, lost their homes, assets, and barely making it in general. And when they tell Getty Images of their situation, Getty have no sympathy at all. I know in the corporate world its all about money, but PR goes along way. There are numerous websites that images can be obtained for a reasonable price. I HOPE Getty is shooting themselves in the foot, and go crashing down. I want to be a part of that! At first when I received the demand letter , I was passive and truthfully, scared shitless!  Now, the more I think about it and the more I get involved, I get pissed off and want to put in my "two-cents" to stop their tactics.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
I understand completely with your thoughts and sentiments and I'm glad to have you join the fight!

Thanks Greg for the excellent advice! I will file complaints with the BBB, FTC, my Congressman and my Senator. I don’t appreciate the strong arm tactics Getty is doing, especially when it was an honest mistake. I have read several posting on this forum on individuals being unemployed, lost their homes, assets, and barely making it in general. And when they tell Getty Images of their situation, Getty have no sympathy at all. I know in the corporate world its all about money, but PR goes along way. There are numerous websites that images can be obtained for a reasonable price. I HOPE Getty is shooting themselves in the foot, and go crashing down. I want to be a part of that! At first when I received the demand letter , I was passive and truthfully, scared shitless!  Now, the more I think about it and the more I get involved, I get pissed off and want to put in my "two-cents" to stop their tactics.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

arose4yu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »
ditto to the others...in fact, I've filed complaints against Getty and McCormack with the WA State AG office....stupid Getty tried calling our company to try to resolve our issue by settling for "editorial" rates...pssh....I'll fight them all the way through....I suggest you do the same. The more of us that stand up to them, the better. Very thankful for this site.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
Great job and I'm glad to hear you're fighting back!  Please keep us posted, especially let us know if the complaint letters make Getty back off.

ditto to the others...in fact, I've filed complaints against Getty and McCormack with the WA State AG office....stupid Getty tried calling our company to try to resolve our issue by settling for "editorial" rates...pssh....I'll fight them all the way through....I suggest you do the same. The more of us that stand up to them, the better. Very thankful for this site.

--Greg Troy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »
Thanx for the compliment, little jabs of humor go a long way, and after you're done with Getty or the 3 years SOL, you can begin to look at the whole thing a bit differently, and you too will see just how crazy and stupid these troll are.......we like to reference Greg " as "Freak Show" but animal certainly applies!

Robert Krausankas

steve2012

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:09 AM »
LOL!! Thanks for the support and advice. It's going to be a long and interesting 3 years!

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
Steve, actually the times goes very quickly once you drop the fear factor that Getty Images and its copyright troll and collection agent Timothy B. McCormack use so effectively on many people who don't do their homework to extract payments with their nasty invoicing scheme.

Once you realize it's just a big game of bluff and bluster, then the whole deal becomes quite tolerable and their various letters downright amusing. At least, that's been my experience for almost two years now.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.